Sunday, March 31, 2013

Spring Forward!

It has finally arrived; three weeks after our US friends and family, we are finally springing into daylight savings time here in Europe.  (Why Europe and North America aren't in sync on this simple change of the clock is beyond me).  For the past few weeks this difference has reduced the difference between us and our East Coast based families to five hours; as of today we are back to the six hour gap that separates us for most of the year.  As strange as it sounds it feels as though things are returning to normal and I no longer have to think about what time it is where...........

Sure, last night we lost an hour of sleep.  Since I can't even remember the last time I got a full night of sleep, this loss didn't really change anything for me.  I awoke this morning within my typical wake-up range of time to the sound of pouring rain beating on the roof.  Yes, we were experiencing yet another rainy spring day.  The dark skies gave me no clue as to the actual hour but I knew that even if I wouldn't actually see the sun today it would in fact remain lighter longer.  This one hour difference might not seem like a big deal but psychologically it makes all the difference to me.  I love being able to come home at the end of the day and still be able to enjoy the daylight.  More daylight means a greater chance that our too dark house won't feel so dreary.  This extra daylight makes me feel like I actually do something other than work all day.  Spring and summer sunsets over Mount Dajti viewed from our balcony are the best part of living in this house.

Today is also the last day of March.  There is an old adage that March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb.  (April showers also bring May flowers but I'll pass on the rain since we have already received more than our fair share).  With the rain and fierce midday thunderstorm this was one angry lamb.  However, as the sun should have been setting, the skies cleared and the sun made her first bright appearance of the day.  The sunset was pretty nice too.   Maybe spring is finally here for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment