Saturday, December 15, 2012

Hold Our Babies Close

There aren't words that can adequately describe the sorrow, pain, and sadness I feel right now.  As the tragedy unfolds in Newtown, Connecticut, an every-town U.S.A., I am at a loss as to how we as a society can keep our children safe.  As tragedy after unfortunate tragedy plays out in all too rapid succession, it is clear that none of us are exempt or truly safe from the potential for an unthinkable tragedy striking our community.  Contrary to what we want to believe, violence of all kinds is not the exclusive domain of our poor, inner cities.  In fact, whether it be Aurora, Littleton, Blacksburg, or now Newtown, it is almost as if our suburbs are being targeted.  Being well educated, living in solid, middle class communities, being religious, or not--none of this exempts us from the potential for violence.  How is it that those of us with presumably the most resources are the least able to protect ourselves?

All I know is that right now I am scared and sad.  I don't have the words to explain this tragedy to Sidney who is, fortunately too young to be exposed to or understand this senseless violence. He does know that Mamma is sad.  Someday he will understand the reason behind all those extra hugs and "I love yous".  In fact, I'm going to go give him another hug now.  As a parent, that is the only thing I can really control.



                               "When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, 
                               my mother would say to me, "Look for helpers.  You will 
                               always find people who are helping." To this day, especially in 
                               times of "disaster", I remember my mother's words and I am 
                               always comforted by realizing that there are so many helpers
                              --so many caring people in the world."

                                                       ~~~Fred Rogers

No comments:

Post a Comment